Mersenne Digest         Tuesday, March 7 2000         Volume 01 : Number 703

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 17:45:29 -0800
From: Stefan Struiker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Mersenne Timings

Ethan O'Connor wrote:

> Having woken up too early this morning, I put the numbers
> available at http://www.mersenne.org/bench.htm into an Excel
> worksheet and very briefly played with them. The worksheet is
> available at http://web.mit.edu/zudark/www/MersenneSpeeds.xls

I find the Athlon 500 speeds truly astounding.  Are other Athlon users
in the quad getting this kind of performance?
                                                   Best Regards,
                                                                 Stefanovic

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 07:39:26 +0100
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E4nggi_Philipp?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: RE: Mersenne Digest V1 #701

Hi!

My Laptop (DELL Inspiron 5000) makes a high frequency noise (low volume) as
long as prime is running.
If I stop prime the noise stops. If I choose continue it comes back again.

If I use a chess program, which also grabs 100% CPU, there's no noise.

What should I do.