When I was in distributed.net, there was an official IRC channel in which
people could ask questions and discuss the project much more rapidly than is
possible on a mailing list.

It has occured to me that this could be something positive for GIMPS.
Dalnet and certain other networks allow maintaining control over a channel
without someone needing to remain on it continously.

As a newbie, I know that I have asked questions to which the answers were
relatively basic, albeit not covered by the FAQ.  If newbies were able to go
to an IRC channel, they could get immediate responce to their questions, and
more experienced participants could have their concerns addressed or debate
issues without inconviencing those who have no immediate interest.

Nathan Russell