> And dont the K6-III and Athlon support an L3 design, using slower memory
> of
> course, but dedicated to each CPU so eliminating bus contention?  Of
> course,
> the K6-III doesn't do SMP, but the Athlon supports it, doesn't it?  Are
> there any SMP motherboards out there yet for the Athlon?

The K6's and the Cyrix 6x86's could do SMP just like the pentium.  The only
problem was that they used the OpenPIC standard and noone ever built a
chipset that implemented that, so no SMP systems.

The Athlon not only supports SMP, but it does it the, IMHO, Right Way(tm).
They use a point to point bus between the processor and the core logic.
Hence, a SMP Athlon system has no shared bus.  Each processor gets a pipe to
the core logic and it has however many pipes to memory/IO that it wants.
This is what you have to do to scale SMP very high, anyway.  I think the
Intel chips force this for #CPUs>4, too.  Maybe it's 2--I can't remember
right now.

Cheers,
David