Mersenne Digest         Saturday, May 6 2000         Volume 01 : Number 728

Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 14:46:24 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: Re: p-1

(about the chances of finding stuff at stage 2 of P-1)

At 16:37 24.04.2000 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>We do things this way
>because a high percentage of general composites are
>of this form, i.e. have only one large prime factor.

curiosity (which killed the cat):

by now we should have some statistics - is the distribution
of factors ("one large" versus "all small" or "several large")
the same for Mersenne candidates as for "general
composites", or are Mersennes different?
This may influence the optimal setting of B1 and B2, as well
as being an interesting result.

                       Harald

- --
[EMAIL PROTECTED]