Mersenne Digest          Monday, May 22 2000          Volume 01 : Number 738

Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 21:01:55 -0700
From: Stefan Struiker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: M#36 & M#37

George Woltman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Congratulations to all GIMPS members on achieving another
> milestone!   Today, double-checking has proved that  M(2976221)
> and M(3021377) are the 36th and 37th Mersenne primes.
>
> Keep up the good work!
> George

How many DDs does it take to "reasonably establish" primality, given the apparent
slight
error in the L-L test?  Is there an extra-precision version of the test to nail things
down?

Just Curious,
Stefanovic

------------------------------

> >         Congratulations to all GIMPS members on achieving another
> > milestone!   Today, double-checking has proved that  M(2976221)
> > and M(3021377) are the 36th and 37th Mersenne primes.
> >
> > Keep up the good work!
> > George
>
>How many DDs does it take to "reasonably establish" primality, given the
>apparent slight
>error in the L-L test?  Is there an extra-precision version of the test to
>nail things down?
>
>Just Curious,
>Stefanovic

IIRC, there is no real difference in the double-check and the first-time
test.  However, double, triple and if need be quadruple checks are run until
the residues - the last 64 bits in the LL sequence - match.  The chances of
this happening accidentally are one in 2^64 or, in US reckoning, 1 in a
number that is well over 17 quintillion.  I don't know what the equivalent
number in European reckoning would be.

Deliberate attacks, e.g. sending false residues for a double-check with a
match in the public 56 bits of the residue and a guess for the other 8 bits,
is unlikely to succeed (1 chance in 256).  If someone did this to gain
credit, they would most likely be tempted into doing it for a large number
of exponents.  When they did this, the public-section-only matches that
would be almost certain to result would be a definate 'red flag' to George.

Nathan