Once a factor has been logged for an M-candidate, either by P-1
   or by "the other" method, what M-happens?  Is a different sort
   of double-checking automatically done?

I've forgotten what GIMPS or PrimeNet do in this regard, but all
Mersenne factors sent to me - and George Woltman and several other
people send all the factors they know about to me at some point - are
verified to be correct by my update scripts.  The actual calculation
is done by a short function in the UNIX bc (basic calculator) command,
which is not exactly speedy (nor slow - it's a very fast algorithm,
that loops over the _bits_ of the Mersenne exponent), but it is
completely independent, code-wise, from all the GIMPS and mers package
programs.

My update scripts also automatically download all the new data from
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps, Paul Leyland's Cunningham Project site,
Dr. Wagstaff's site at Purdue, and a few others, typically once every
week or two.

                                                Will

http://www.garlic.com/~wedgingt/mersenne.html