On 27 Jul 00, at 0:04, Bruce A Metcalf wrote:

> Having made thsi change, the program now runs, but I can't get any
> response from PrimeNet other than:
>
>  ERROR 2250:  Server Unavailable.
>
> And a referral to a faq that recommends the same change.
>
> Any ideas about what I should try next?

Since it seems to be working OK for me, it's possible you have a name
lookup problem.

If you have an entry for entropia.com in your hosts file (somewhere
under the Windows directory, or in /etc on a linux system) try
removing it, then try again. If you don't have an entry for
entropia.com in your hosts file, or the above fix doesn't work, try
adding the following line to it:

216.120.70.80   entropia.com

(Funnily enough the format is the same for both windoze & linux!!)

If it _still_ doesn't work, try tracing your route to 216.120.70.80
using the traceroute tool in linux, or a suitable Windows utility - I
use & reccomend the freeware utility "CyberKit" which can be freely
downloaded from numerous places. The distribution file I'm using is
just under 1MB in size, but I probably don't have the latest version.
You may find that you are being blocked at a firewall, at least
traceroute will identify if this is the cause of your problem and
also the exact point where the problem lies.

But my guess is that you have an incorrect DNS mapping for the
PrimeNet server stuck in whatever name service you're depending on.
In which case patching the hosts file will fix the problem - however,
leaving you vulnerable to the same thing happening should the server
change its address again :(