> > 1) All systems using SDRAM & the Intel 820 chipset seem to be very
> > disappointing. The 820 chipset was designed to use RDRAM and the
> > required "translation" in the memory bus slows things down somewhat.

The new Intel i815 chipset uses PC133 SDRAM natively, for coppermine support
up to 1GHz or whatever.  They benchmark similiarly to a 440BX based
motherboard when both run at the same clock speed (i.e. both at 100Mhz, or
both at 133MHz with the BX overclocked).

> This cheaper version of this Asus CUV4X MB uses the VIA 82C chips : I am
> now very happy not having paid the extra 100 $ to buy the Asus Intel's
> version, which as you say may have given the same result !

Try the new Asus CUSL2.  From all reports, this is a winner.  Said i815
chipset, uses PC133 SDRAM.  6 PCI slots, no ISA slots.  has AGP Pro 4X (the
kind that actually works correctly in 4X mode with advanced graphics cards
like the Geforce family), unlike the VIA stuff).  The chipset has a lame
built in Intel graphics controller, this is probably adequate for 17"
monitor business systems, but is easily disabled by simply installing a AGP
card for higher resolutions or gaming.

> > 2) A PIII-650 has 100 MHz memory bus speed, just like a PIII-500.
> > Since Prime95 drives the memory bus quite hard, perhaps one shouldn't
> > expect too much speed increase. Especially when you have the 820
> > chipset MTH bottleneck in the circuit.
>
> I understand. I didn't think at Prime95 so much using the bus (in fact, in
> Paris the Metro is far more convenient). I was also not aware that a new
MB
> could make a bottleneck to a not-so-recent processor... I do appreciate
> Asus for years because they are very reliable (imho), but now i'm kind of
> deceived.

Prime95 has a working set of about 5MB now when doing lucas lehmer tests on
current range numbers.  These CPUs only have 256k cache. about 5 or 10 times
a second, the CPU is walking through the 4MB FFT arrays a NUMBER of times,
including both reads *and* writes in rather complex patterns.  Its my
understanding from what George has told us repeatedly that the LL tests
positively HAMMER the memory bus to keep the FPU pipeline busy.