Wanna bet?   Unisys strong-armed all developers of .GIF *readers* back in
1994 in to those contracts.   I know.  I was one of them.    Both encoding
and decoding are covered by the patent.  Any program that handles .GIF
files in ANY way (including, I might add, web browsers) is one that Unisys
claims patent protection and royalty payments upon.