Matt Gauthier wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mersenne Digest writes:
> >Do not "make clean" in linux/, this will remove all the FFT object files! Only
>
> The latest version of gas can, apparantly, handle intel syntax with
> the appropriate psuedo-op. I haven't looked into it, but it should be
> possible to get prime95 to compile on any i386 unix box with trivial
> changes once the new version is the standard.

At last, writing assembler in old gas syntax was a nightmare. The readily
available nasm likes Intel syntax, too, and most programming-inclined x86-unix
boxes will have it installed, so we could use that too to assemble the FFT
sources.
But assembling is not really necessary to build the mprime binary even after a
"make clean" because the elf .o files can be converted from the intel .obj file
which are also in the linux/ directory. This takes binutils which like coff-i386
object files (see the linux/makefile) and many linux boxes are not configured that
way - you'd have to rebuild your binutils first.
So, yes you can make clean and still make the binary if you have a suitably
configured system. But unless one is working on the FFT code, one might just keep
the .o files and not worry about all this...

Ciao,
  Alex.