After a long and agonizing wait, I have finally received Official (TM)
permission from the International Bacclaureate Organization to post my
Mersenne Primes extended essay on the Internet.  (Copyrights stink.  Then
again, they did give me an A.)  Now that it's all legit, it's back on the
Internet at
http://homepages.go.com/~joekorovin/Mersenne.html
(so the www.mersenne.org link isn't broken anymore, yay), and in a much nicer
HTML form provided by Barry Brake.  Things have changed since Nov. 1999; I no
longer believe that there's a hidden Mersenne prime (although it was sure fun
to suggest), but I still remain reasonably convinced about the validity of my
conjecture.

Stephan T. Lavavej