Jason Stratos Papadopoulos has alerted me to my not having sufficiently
delimited the scope of my previous P4 future cautionary note in its
topic paragraph rather than its final paragraph.  That, alas, was a
particular example of a persistent weakness in my communication skills.
I apologize for it.

If I were to recompose my previous message, its topic paragraph would be
more like:

For those of you contemplating a Pentium 4 purchase -- If you won't ever
want to upgrade your P4 processor without also upgrading the
motherboard, or if you won't mind having to buy a new motherboard in
order to upgrade to a faster P4, then this message is not relevant for
you.  OTOH, if you want to be able to upgrade your P4 processor without
having to buy a new motherboard, I urge you to read a cautionary note by
Tom Pabst about Intel's future plans for the P4 at
http://www.sysdoc.pair.com/cpu/00q4/001013/roadmap-02.html
subtitled "Pentium 4 'Willamette' Is Just A Short-Term Filler".  (Tom
Pabst is author of "Tom's Hardware Guide" at http://www.sysdoc.pair.com)

Then my note might not have given the initial impression that it
concerned the P4's merits in general rather than only about the P4's
motherboard-compatible upgradability in particular.

>In particular you'll find out that Tom's opinion has flip-flopped about three times
>on the P4.

If you were referring only to Tom's opinion about Intel's future plans
for changing the P4 socket and chipset in mid-2001, then I am not aware
of any such flip-flopping and would appreciate your pointing out where
such flip-flopping of Tom's opinion about Intel's plans for changing the
P4 socket and chipset has been discussed on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips.

If you were referring to Tom's opinion about aspects of the P4 _other
than_ Intel's plans for changing the P4 socket and chipset, then I
regret that my note led you or others to think that it concerned any
aspect other than Intel's plans for changing the P4 socket and chipset.

Richard Woods