Hopefully those responsible can reassure us that the servers are indeed running on
high capacity UPS backup!

A further question is what precautions the intermediate ISPs take to provide backup
power for their leased line connections. Major hosting ISPs typically have enormous
power backup facilities for their main systems, with diesel generators that can last
days, but do they protect the routers for smaller leased lines such as the one which
connects the GIMPS server in San Diego?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I would be more worried about the servers since they are in San
> Diego. Imagine the possible data corruption.
>
> > I wonder if GIMPS throughput will be noticeably reduced due to
> > California's power problems?  Either by people shutting their pcs off or
> > being knocked off when hit by a rolling blackout?

Yours,

======= Gareth Randall =======