Alexander Kruppa wrote:

> "Brian J. Beesley" wrote:
>
>> Some people have indicated they'd like a version of the program with
>> a pretty screen-saver interface. Fair enough, provided we can keep
>> the "classic" version without the extra overhead.
>>

> The screen-saver idea is important for another reason.
> I asked several coworkers and secretaries to let Prime95 (NTprime,
> actually) run on their PCs and they agreed, but they were less than
> happy when I asked them to change the pretty 3-d screen savers for
> something that lets NTprime have more cpu power. With the selection
> Microsoft offers right now, that means "Blank Screen" or "Marquee" -
> neither is extremely exciting to watch. Before long, most of them went
> back to the old screen savers and NTprime slowed down to a halt.
> A pretty screen saver that uses very little cpu time would free up a lot
> of resources for background computing. It doesnt have to come in the
> Prime95 package (tough a screen saver that displays progress might be
> nice), just a separate program would do so we can offer something for
> those pc users that dont really care what the computer is doing as long
> as it looks nice (theres a lot of them).

I would say that the best option is either a jumping image or something
like the game of life, updated very slowly (I'm thinking of the default
xlock display here).  Generally, things that jump or stay fixed rather
than sliding or, worse, warping are most likely the way to go.

I believe Prime95 does come with a screen saver, though it's just a
blank screen.  Personally, I've used the 'blank screen' option myself
since getting involved in distributed computing, but I realize that some
folks really want a pretty screen saver.

>> Probably the easiest improvement to make is to have the documentation
>> translated into some other languages;
>

> I have no idea how good I am at translating technical documentation - I
> never tried before, but if theres demand, I can give it a try for a
> german version of "Primzahl95" *g*

I guess I could do something in spanish, but there's a lot of demands on
my time right now, and frankly I'd want it proofread by someone who was
either a native speaker or had had more than just 5 high school courses!

Nathan