On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Jeff Woods wrote:
>At 10:03 AM 3/25/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> >even with prime95 running 24/7 on my Windows2000 system, it seems to come up
>> >with a FEW idle cycles.  I figure its when prime95 gets paged out or
>>
>>How does idle time accrue *to a process*? Idle time is when the CPU is not
>>executing any process.
>
>On a Win32 system, the idle time is kept track of by the idle PROCESS (a
>thread or task operating autonomously, for you *n*x types).   It is by
>hooking into and pseudo-taking over this process that Prime95 does its work.

You're ignoring the context of my question. The context was:

>even with prime95 running 24/7 on my Windows2000 system, it seems to come up
>with a FEW idle cycles.  I figure its when prime95 gets paged out or
>something.  I rebooted a couple of hours ago after photoshop blew up and
>left the system kinda crispy, in the past 2h 48m, I show 3 minutes of idle
>time has accumulated.  2:43 has gone to prime95.  the rest to everything
>else i've done (hardly none to a number of edit windows, web browsers, etc).

I know that there's an idle process (#0), an init process (#1), and many other
processes in a computer. Idle time accrues to the idle process. What I don't
understand is how 2:43 of the idle time was accounted to prime95 and the other
seventeen seconds to other processes - it should all have been accounted to the
idle process.

phma