> The P4's PSU fan seems to step up a gear when I've been running Prime95
for
> a few hours, though the CPU temperature reported by Intel Active Monitor
on
> my D850GB board doesn't go about 46C. I suspect the P4 probably runs too
hot
> for it to be possible to build a really quiet solution, but does anyone
have
> suggestions? In its current state I'd get no sleep if I left the machine
> running overnight, so I'll probably be running Prime95 only if I remember
> set it going when I wake up.

Any machine that has a variable speed fan will probably have this same thing
happen.

On a couple newer Compaq Proliant servers (which have temperature sensitive
fans), it's very obvious to tell when I've started the Prime service,
because the fans nearly instantly speed up and are noisier.

This is, of course, because normally the CPU is pretty idle, not generating
much heat at all.  But when the service starts, the FPU is suddenly in full
time use, and the core generates more heat, which causes the temp switch to
notice this, and causes the fans to speed up to dissipate the extra heat.

Hearing your fans kick into high gear is a good sign... it means your system
is working as intended. :)  I'm thankful that most of my servers are off in
an air-conditioned room down the hall a bit.  It was a real pain when I had
a Proliant cluster in my office undergoing some testing, and having those
fans spin at full tilt.   And if you've ever been around a Proliant server,
you'll know what I mean because those things have about a million different
fans in them.

> 33M ticks per iteration for M5171311, which is 25.8 milliseconds on this
> 1300MHz machine; so one double-check in that range every 36 hours. That's
> about a factor six faster than the P2/350 I just sold, and I recall that
> machine as having been at least four times faster than the P90 I had when
> started running Prime95 ... I'll have done noticeably more calculation by
> the end of next month than that P90 did during its lifetime.

Hmm... your P4 at 1.3GHz should, on face value, be 3.8 times faster, and
according to George, you should be seeing an extra 3 times improvement in
the P4 execution for an overall boost (over a P2/350) of over 11 times.  Of
course, that's assuming similar cache architecture, bus speeds, etc. which
we know isn't the case.  In fact, without the new code, I'd expect a P4 1300
to be more than 3.8 times faster than  P2/350, just on the basis of the
memory architecture, FSB (and thus memory) speeds, etc.

I assume your beta has been configured with the proper CPU type?

Aaron