I don't really know how much help this will be since I don't know your exact
situation and am not a expert by any means, but here goes!

First, the software modem may be a culprit.  I have had problems with ones
of the HSP variety.  Most show up as 'HSP Micromodem56' or something very
similar on your system.  Most of these modems also use a chipset
manufactured by PCTel.  Fairly stable, but use a nice chunk of CPU time when
online, and I have received errors when I am checking email and/or surfing
the web while using this type of modem.  I have no hard evidence to tie this
modem to the errors, but all errors happened when I was using that modem or
soon after (I hooked up a external modem just to see if the same would
happen with it and I did not receive errors when using it).  I have no idea
if you have a modem similar to that one or not, but it may be the problem.

Also, the electrical environment may be vastly different.  I am assuming
that where you had your computer was at school, and it is now at home.  At
my home, I have problems with various utility problems, and have been told
by others that utility problems could cause such errors.  I invested in a
UPS with line conditioning to hopefully control some of those problems.
Maybe one of these two things could be your problem.. I wish you the best of
luck in finding and fixing the problem!

- Jeramy