>Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:56:51 -0400
>From: Nathan Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
?Subject: Re: Mersenne: Prime Net Server

>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:56:34 +0200, "Jörg Thomsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>Hi,
>
>it isn't that easy at all. The default parameter for
>networkretries is, afaik, 10 minutes. So
>most clients try to connect every 10 minutes until thy got a
>timeout. And the timeout seems to be very long :-/.
>I think we loose much power on these gimpsserver fails.
>

> Regards
>   Jörg

>However, AFAIK, the client continues working while it is trying to
>connect; it's multithreaded.

That wasn't my experience. During the outage, I'd get the message that
it was trying to contact the server. Then it would sit there for 6
minutes, doing nothing, then state that it would try again in an hour,
then pick up where it left off. That 6 minutes per hour was a loss of
10% for 2 days.

So don't know what Nathan means by "multithreading."

And, BTW, why does it take 6 minutes to give up? Wouldn't 1 minute be
sufficient?