From: "Paul Leyland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Aaron Blosser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mersenne@Base. Com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: Mersenne: Re: AthlonXP

> Well, I suppose RISC is about as close as you can get to
> that.  Microcode,  for reasons best known to someone
> familiar with CPU design, is not something
> you can just reprogram on the fly...

I beg to differ.  As someone who has written megabytes of microcode,
including an entire IEEE floating point instruction set, a C machine, a
LispKit machine and a large chunk of a graph reduction machine in AMD
2900 series bit-slice ucode (that dates me!) I can state authoritatively
that updating ucode on the fly is not necessarily hard.  Just because
modern cpus don't provide run-time loadable ucode (if anyone knows of
present day examples, please let me know) doesn't mean that it's
impossible.  Indeed, the IA-64 architecture comes damned close to being
a ucodable machine, as the assembly language is very low level in many
respects.

The main reason, IMO, why runtime loadable ucode isn't more widely
available is that there is no perceived large market for it.  We sold
our machines primarily to labs who were researching machine
architectures.  Some years before that, DEC sold PDP-11/60 boxes with
writable control store for organizations that needed fast and custom
data capture.  The nuclear and particle physics communities loved them.

> of it.  Now, if all programmers were as concerned about
> optimizing code as George is, we
> could run Windows XP on a 286 system if you really wanted...
> optimized code can do wonders on even the slowest systems. :)

Actually, a 286 would have big problems running WinXP, not least because
its lack of support for demand paged virtual memory and inadequate
kernel/user separation.  That's why Linux requires at least a 386.

Paul