> Sure. Not quite the same since there appears to be no certificate of
> primality, but on 30 Aug 2001 there was a message on this list to
> the effect that M727 (c219) = prp98.prp128. So much ECM work
> was done on M727 (before the NFS people started work) that it is
> highly unlikely that there are any factors < 10^50, which means
> that at least the 98-digit probable prime is almost certainly a
> genuine prime. (Maybe that's been proved by now. ECPP on
> general numbers of around 100 digits isn't very expensive.)

Ah, but SNFS-able numbers only half-count because they are so easy ;-)

You're correct: I was forgetting the Cunningham factorizations which
yielded large penultimate primes.  There are quite a few by now.  All
the factors have indeed been proved prime.

> I think the 55 digit record applies to ECM. A number of much larger
> factors (not counting cofactors) have been found using number field
> sieve techniques.

Correct.  I do not know of any larger penultimate factors of hard
integers with more than 200 digits.  The largest I know of has 78
digits, but that is from RSA-155, which only has 155 digits.

Paul