> http://www.slashdot.org has a link to http://open-mag.com on a new Intel
> compiler for Linux an M$ Windows. The new compiler makes use of the new
> instructions in the Pentium III and IV. Of course, the most important
> part of the Prime95 code does not get compiled at all, since it has
> already been handcoded. But it would be nice to know if a recompile with
> this compiler would improve throughput significantly, anyone?

I believe the Intel C 5.0 compiler is based on Kai C++, which is hardly new.
Its also $500 per user per system on Linux.  The MS Windows version requires
you to already have the MS Visual C++ 6.0 package, as this piggybacks on the
MS C tools.   This isn't going to take the open source world by storm...