>hi,
>
>well, i fried a second P4 using GIMPS.  first a 2Ghz P4, and now a
>1.8Ghz .  obviously the vendor has sold me a crappy machine with
>inadequate cooling/motherboard/something and i am now done with them
>and they will be giving me a full refund whether they like it or not.

I would highly recommend using a program called Motherboard Monitor
(http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) coupled with a program called ShutDown Now!.
This will let you monitor your case and processor temperatures (if they are
integrated) and have your computer automatically shutdown if a problem
occurs.   It will even monitor your voltages and fans, and tell you when
they are slowing/dropping.   Pretty powerful, and it doesn't really
interfere with Prime95 too much.

My Athalons (1600+ and 1800+) usually run at a reported 132F, and I have
shutdown enabled at 145.   Since the program has logging and hi/low temp
displays, one can keep a good eye on what is going on.   BTW, you might want
to consider the Athalon.   They are a lot cheaper to replace!

-Brian