I am trying to understand the DWT algorithm in the Crandall/Fagin paper so
that I can implement it in C. I am aware of the many implementations
available, and I have downloaded and looked at the source code for several.
However, the optimizations performed by the code and the sparse comments
make it difficult to follow the code without understanding the theory. I
wasn't able to fine much by searching the list archives either.

Can anyone point me to a reference with a detailed explanation of the DWT
and LL algorithms (either on the web or in print), preferably with a worked
example?

Specifically, I am trying to reproduce the example from the paper for M(37).
I understand how to compute the x, b, and a vectors.

The next step is to perform the DWT. The paper says to calculate
X = DWT(N,a)x = DFT(N)ax, but I don't completely understand the notation
here.

What is the input to the DFT? As I understand it, I should perform a
standard FFT and then do a point-by-point multiply on the FFT result, the a
signal, and the x signal. Is this correct?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Chris Clark