For Linux users wondering how to control the monitor auto suspend or auto power
down, try:

xset dpms force standby

or

xset dpms force suspend

(See man page or --help for xset for more information and options.)

If you set this as a keyboard shortcut you can actually go into power saving
mode instantly, which I haven't seen on windows (although I'm not up to date on
the windows front!) As this is an X thing, I suspect it will work on other OSs
as well as Linux.

I started using an old system of mine to heat an outbuilding, while running a
prime program. I thought that rather than power an electric fire, I might as
well get some work done for that electrical energy!

--
======= Gareth Randall =======