Brian J. Beesley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about how we could improve the productivity of the project by
> reducing the proportion of candidates requiring LL testing, and had the
> following idea.
>
> P-1 factoring is useful when applied to Mersenne numbers because M(p)-1 is
> easily factored: M(p)-1 = (2^p-1) -1 = 2^p-2 = 2.(2^(p-1)-1)

Knowing that there is a factor of 2 does not qualify M(p)-1 as "easy"
to be factored. Any sensible factoring program removes all factors below
a small bound by trial division which takes no time at all. The "hard"
part of factoring is pulling out the large factors that remain.

> The idea of P-1 factoring (stage 1) is to compute X = 2^k! mod N where k is
> the B1 limit and N is the number to be factored. Now compute GCD(X-1,N); with
> luck (if there is a factor F of N for which F-1 is k-smooth) the result will
> be F rather than 1.
>
> However, _for Mersenne numbers_, the principle can be extended as follows:
>
> M(p)-M(q) = 2^(p-q).(2^(p-q)-1)

M(p) - M(q) = 2^p - 1 - (2^q - 1) = 2^p - 2^q =  2^q (2^(p-q) - 1)

Not what you wrote above.
And how does this fact relate to anything else?

> Having computed X as above, we can now compute successively
>
> GCD(X-1,N)
> GCD(X-3,N)
> GCD(X-7,N)
> (until we get bored, or run out of q<p)
>
> instead of just GCD(X-1,N).
>
> This does not cost a lot of extra time because (for sensible values of k) the
> GCD will usually run in a small fraction of the time required to compute X.
> Nevertheless we appear to be gaining a lot of opportunities to find a factor.

> Q1. What's the problem with this line of argument? I find it hard to believe
> that something this simple has been missed in the past...

Your right, it won't cost a lot of extra time. It also won't accomplish
anything.

2^(k!) - 1 has special number theoretic properties that make it highly
prone to capturing factors. However, 2^(k!) - 3, and so on, have no such
properties, and are basically useless for finding factors.