Gentlemen;
Thank you for your help.
My P4 is successfully working on its second 15,000,000 range number.
The first number was found to be not prime in about three months full time.
It should have taken a month, hence this discussion.

WCPUID recognizes my P4 and its having SSE and SSE2 instructions.
Prime95V22.3 doesn't. My next step is to upgrade to
Windows98 then Linux unless a better idea comes along

Steve;
>Could the CPU be overheating?

This is a good idea to pursue.

Brian P.;
  Thanks for the tip.
  WCPUID was helpful.

George;

>I'm pretty sure that Windows 95 does not support SSE and SSE2 (because the
>OS does not save the XMM registers on a task swap?)

>Get yourself Windows 98 -

.... did that, now to install it without clobbering my other stuff.

Brian B.;
>Win95 unless another SSE/SSE2 ... timesharing

Good point

>Surely the problem is that a system with extra registers will use more
stack
>when the "save all registers" opcode is executed. If so, the OS need not
>support SSE/SSE2 directly - but there might be a problem with crashing
>through the stack base.

.... hummmmm   the error was "illegal instruction"

>.... probably unusable without breaking the Microsoft
>licence. Remember that several "PC recycling" projects have run foul of
this;
>even though the system was bought with a Windows licence, passing the
system
>to a third party with Windows still installed is taken as a breach of the
>EULA.

.............. That is a good argument for ABMS (anything but Microsoft)
............. I recently bought a new license for Win98.

>Why not try linux instead? There are definitely no problems supporting P4
>processors on any reasonably recent linux distribution, and there will
>definitely not be any licensing problems.

.......... That needs to move to the front burner

John P
>or the freeware Motherboard Monitor from http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
........ got it, thanks