At 06:49 PM 7/23/2002 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >The M12898349 error may be OK as it may have been very
> >close to the limit of the 640K FFT (I don't recall the
> >22.3 crossover points).
>
>According the the GIMPS status page, the 640K crossover
>point for the more-accurate x86 client (i.e. the non-
>SSE2 code) is 12.83M,

Thanks to Brian's research we've revisited all the x87 crossovers.
Some v22 executables had a 12.90M crossover.  This has been
lowered to 12.89M in v22.7.

>Except that P-1 stage 1 (unless I'm mistaken about
>Prime95's particular implementation thereof) uses the
>same FFT-based squaring code that the LL test does.
>it seems curious that Daran mentions seeing the roundoff
>warnings in p-1 stage 1, and not in the subsequent LL
>tests of these exponents. George, is error checking done
>more frequently in p-1 than in LL?

Daran mentioned that he was only doing P-1 factoring,
leaving the LL test for others.  The P-1 factoring code
does error checking just as often as the LL code.