At 6 Aug 2002 13:16:44 +1000, "Sisyphus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >What's an n-tuplet prime ?
>My idea of triplet prime, for example, would be 3 consecutive odd integers
>that are prime ...... but it wouldn't take long to find out how many of
>*them* there are :-)

   n-tuplet primes are a set of n primes "as close together as
possible".  For triplets, for example, there are two types: {p,p+2,p+6},
and {p,p+4,p+6}.

At 6 Aug 2002 08:38:17 -0400, Jason Papadopoulos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Enumerating the primes to 10^16 means storing something like 10^14 numbers,
>doesn't it? If you only store the gaps, wouldn't that imply 10^14 bytes
>of storage?

   If we were actually going to store them, yes.  The idea was to work with
a small block at a time and only store the "census values" and any
exceptional numbers.

At 06 Aug 2002 22:39:21 -0400, David Willmore
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a little bit of code lying around, uhh, somewhere, that can generate
>bitmaps (via a sieve) of arbitrary 8K chunks of primes up to 2^32.  It would
>be pretty easy to extend it higher.  Could these 'statistics' be easily
>generated if fed a 'stream' of primes?  If so, this project doesn't look all
>that hard.

   Sieving, by itself, isn't going to identify pseudoprimes and strong
pseudoprimes.  Since I'm going to be performing strong pseudoprimality
tests anyway, I might as well use those to construct my list of primes.
   We already know how many primes there are less than 10^15, so if we
count the integers less than 10^15 which pass 15 strong pseudoprime tests
and get the same answer, we'll know that all those values were in fact prime.

Colin Percival