At 07:16 AM 8/17/02 -0700, you wrote:

>It is my understanding from reading the documentation that setting the
>available memory only affects the P-1 factoring stage and not the main
>LL test.  Is this correct?
>
>The reason I am asking is because of a great difference that I have
>noticed in the iteration time of the LL test on my 2.2GHz desktop and my
>1.0GHz laptop while running comparable sized numbers on both machines.

Clock speed is not the only determinant.   Chip internals have a lot to do
with it, too.   Cache size, instruction set, RAM type and speed all affect
iteration time.

That's a 2.2 Ghz P4, and what chip in the notebook?   The P4 has SSE2
instruction sets, which make it faster than, say, an Athlon 2.2Ghz (if such
existed).  If it's a Celeron, the cache is smaller, making it even slower.

>The desktop is a Pentium IV while the laptop is a III.  Could this
>account for the difference?

Absolutely.  SSE and cache both conspire against the comparison, as may the
RAM in the notebook.