At 10:00 AM 1/28/03 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The tsc machines show some very odd behavior.  The exponents do a "red
> light, green light" game.  One exponent I've been following started at 5,

> went to 2, back up to 5, then ran all the way up to 15 before dropping
back
> to nothing and now it shows a 1.  Others are similarly dancing around.  I

Are you talking about factoring assignments? It seems they start at
iteration 1 again for each bit of factoring depth.
Yes, factoring assignments. Having done a lot of these I know how the usual progression goes. It ranges from 1 to 16, with the final bit depth showing 9 to 16, the one before that 5 to 8, before that 3 or 4, before that 2, and before that 1. So an exponent destined to go up to 66 bits that starts at or below 62 bits will show a 1 until it hits 63 bits, then a 2 until 64 bits, 3 until halfway through 64, 4 until all the way through 64, 5 through 8 while it is in 65 bits, and 9 through 16 while it is doing the 66 bit pass. This up and back behavior is not normal.