Hi,

There still seems to be a problem of some sort. This morning (between 0800 &
0900 GMT) I was able to get some results checked in but since then I'm
getting "server unavailable" from the client.

> > traceroute shows a nice loop:

This is typical of a problem at a network leaf node. The site router has a
default route which points down the link to the network as a whole; when the
"leaf" (target host) is online it generates a local route which overrides the
default for the address(es) used. Meanwhile the network node to which the
site router connects has a route for the entire site. So a packet with the
leaf's address bounces between site & the adjacent network node routers until
it times out.

The _correct_ configuration at the site is to specify a static default route
for the whole site's address which points to a null interface so that
undeliverable packets are instantly dropped.