Mersenne Digest        Thursday, July 3 2003        Volume 01 : Number 1079

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:47:22 -0800 (AKDT)
From: Gordon Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mersenne: Error 12002

I've seen sporadic episodes of error messages before during temporary
server outages. However, haven't seen one that lasted this long. I now
have several machines that have been unable to report for six days in a
row. One of them is nearly out of work (though I can reserve assignements
manually if I need to.)

Looking through the Forum archives it appears Error 12002 is a version
21-specific problem that occurs when entropia.com is down even if
mersenne.org is up. On Saturday entropia.com was indeed down. However,
entropia's website has been up since sometime Sunday, and I have *still*
been getting hourly 12002s on three different systems. No firewalls on my
end, and no settings have changed on my end either.

Any advice?

I would also ask the "keeper of the faq" to add a few new lines to it
about these "new" (since 2 years or so ago) error messages that aren't
described in the online information.

GRB

------------------------------

Speed improvements of 3 to 8% can be expected for Athlon, Duron, Pentium 3,
and Celeron 2 owners.

Four or five changes have been added to reduce the chance of another
false prime report.

------------------------------

At 12:47 PM 7/1/2003 -0800, Gordon Bower wrote:
>Looking through the Forum archives it appears Error 12002 is a version
>21-specific problem that occurs when entropia.com is down even if
>mersenne.org is up. On Saturday entropia.com was indeed down. However,
>entropia's website has been up since sometime Sunday, and I have *still*
>been getting hourly 12002s on three different systems.
>
>I would also ask the "keeper of the faq" to add a few new lines to it
>about these "new" (since 2 years or so ago) error messages that aren't
>described in the online information.

As suggested, I've added error 12002 to the FAQ.  I've also emailed Scott
to see if he can get Entropia to restart GIMPS message forwarding process