Mersenne Digest       Friday, November 14 2003       Volume 01 : Number 1091

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:14:55 +0100
From: Matthias Waldhauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mersenne: 50% CPU?

Quantum Mechanic wrote:
 > I have an Intel 4 box from MDG, 1 CPU, 2.4GHz, 512MB
 > RAM, L1 8KB, L2 512KB.
 >
 > Prime95 is only getting 50%, with System Idle Process
 > taking 50%.
 >
 > It's currently running an LL test in the 20M range.
 >
 > Any ideas why it's only 50%?

I think, there are 2 processes running as idle task (one of them is
Prime95). And I assume that both have the same priority setting, so the
OS "thinks", they are equally important (same priority) and gives
exactly half of the available time to each of them because
Hyperthreading suggests, that there are enough real CPUs to do so
(although there aren't).

Try increasing Prime95's priority setting.

Regards,
Matthias