Secondly, I also need to set destination_rect clip. I am not yet sure how that could be done.

See how clipping is done in the compositor, function vl_compositor_render() and vl_compositor_set_dst_clip(). Basically you just use a scissor state to limit where on the surface we are going to write.

Regards,
Christian.