Am 09.01.2017 um 11:58 schrieb Marek Olšák:
On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net> wrote:
On 09/01/17 03:13 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On 07/01/17 11:46 PM, Marek Olšák wrote:
From: Marek Olšák <marek.ol...@amd.com>

~/.drirc is created by the driconf tool (GPL license) and it overrides
system drirc settings and can't be changed by Mesa updates.
This drops support for the tool. It has been a source of major pain
for us and it continues to cause problems.

If people wanna keep this and enjoy the pain, I will make a v2 that
applies it to radeon drivers only.

v2: update comments and docs
The problem is the driconf application (and possibly documentation
recommending its use), not the ~/.drirc file. This is throwing out the
proverbial baby with the bathwater. Fix the problem instead.
As for something that could be done about this issue in Mesa, how about
adding terminal output about which driconf options are set to what
values from where, enabled e.g. via LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose ?
That would have no effect on anything whatsoever. The idea is to drop
support for driconf. That can be done by not loading ~/.drirc and
either:
- not loading anything, or
- load a different file from HOME instead (e.g. ~/.mesarc)

I would start slower and at-least allow for a grace period or getting rid of this.

E.g. if ~/.drirc is present give a big warning on stderr that this is deprecated for at least one major release.

If we then find that we need a per user configuration file we can still add support for ~/.mesarc.

But in general I agree that file caused quite some pain for questionable gain.

Regards,
Christian.

driconf uses GPL, which is not compatible with X.Org and Mesa.

Marek