On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:
> [...]

I don't think so. From the looks of it, drivers don't even get to see
any shader the linker rejects.

I guess it would be cleaner to have boolean flags
SkipVaryingLimitChecking and SkipUniformLimitChecking in gl_constants
and changing the linker to read those flags. Does that sound like a
good idea?

>> Now seriously. I do really care about users. And I'd like to release
>> product which works best for them.
>
> I understand. And I agree that on this particular case this is an intolerable
> regression for the users concerned.
>
> However, I don't think that Ian doesn't care about users, but rather that not
> following the spec is more harmful to the users on the long term. And, given
> he's one of the main GLSL author/maintainer that carries weight on my book,
> as far as that sub-component is concerned.
>
> Anyway, I don't see any need for us to clash against each others: all Mesa
> developers have and will always have different goals, schedules, and external
> pressures; but it should be possible to share the same code between all
> drivers without having to share the same policy.
>
> GLSL is a sub-component among others. Surely it must be possible to
> accommodate both a strict enforcement of max uniforms on Intel drivers, and a
> more lenient enforcement on another drivers. So instead of trying to decide
> who's right, let's just focus our energy into finding that flexible solution.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody.

Marek