On 03/04/2017 07:12 AM, Emil Velikov wrote:
On 2 March 2017 at 21:52, Timothy Arceri <tarc...@itsqueeze.com> wrote:

On 03/03/17 01:49, Emil Velikov wrote:

Hi Tim,

On 2 March 2017 at 01:36, Timothy Arceri <tarc...@itsqueeze.com> wrote:

This reduces the cache size for Deus Ex from ~160M to ~30M for
radeonsi.

I'm also seeing the following improvements in minimum fps in the
Shadow of Mordor benchmark:

no-cache:                    ~10fps
with-cache-no-compression:   ~15fps
with-cache-and-compression:  ~20fps

Note the with cache results are from the second run after closing
and opening the game to avoid the in-memory cache.

Since we only really care about decompression I went with
Z_BEST_COMPRESSION as suggested on irc by Steinar H. Gunderson
who has benchmarked decompression speeds.

Attempting to side-step the "which compression is best" topic, I'll
just mention:
zlib has been around for a long time than many others so,
a) chances are smaller that vendors that ship their own, but even if they
do
b) the API should be stable across the system and bundled one.

If not we can reconsider if things get hairy ;-)

A couple of small suggestions below.

+ZLIB_REQUIRED=1.2.8

Any particular reason behind this version - afaict it's released in
2013 and I'm wondering if some distros may be slow/missing it.

It's what's shipped with Fedora and therefore what I tested with. If distros
are lagging behind I don't think this is a problem we need to be concerned
with, it may prompt them to upgrade which I don't think is a bad thing.

I was thinking about Debian and friends, which tend to be slower than others.
From what I can tell they rarely consider external factors as a reason
to update.

That aside, they have 1.2.7 for "oldstable" and 1.2.8 for everything
else so everything's fine.

FWIW, RHEL 7.2 (haven't looked at 7.3 yet) only has zlib 1.2.7. Mesa builds fine with 1.2.7 if I override ZLIB_CFLAGS and ZLIB_LIBS, but I haven't tested the shader cache.

Can we lower the check to 1.2.7? Otherwise, I guess I could hack around it in our build script.

-Brian