On 28/04/17 22:29, Marek Olšák wrote:
On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 5:05 AM, Timothy Arceri <tarc...@itsqueeze.com> wrote:
The more I think about it the more this seems like a bad idea.
When we were deleting old cache dirs this wasn't so bad as it
was unlikely we would ever hit the actual limit before things
were cleaned up. Now that we only start cleaning up old cache
items once the limit is reached the a percentage based max
cache limit is more risky.

For the inital release of shader cache I think its better to
stick to a more conservative cache limit, at least until we
have some way of cleaning up the cache more aggressively.

See my comment in the other thread. Also, what's wrong with hitting
the limit? Isn't hitting the limit actually the main point of the
cache?

Right, hitting a limit is fine. The problem is using percentage is
arbitrary, one system it may be 10GB on another 200GB which is a ridiculous size.

The point I was trying to make was that I was ok with the effectively unreachable cache limit when we were cleaning things up. Now that we will actually approach the limit I can only see bad things happening, bug reports, distros disabling the cache, etc.

More comments on the other thread.

Marek