On 16 June 2017 at 14:25, Rob Clark <robdcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 15 June 2017 at 21:47, Robert Foss <robert.f...@collabora.com> wrote:
>>> From: Rob Herring <r...@kernel.org>
>>>
>>> This is required by freedreno at least for GLES3 support.
>>>
>>> See docs/patents.txt for information about turning this on for s/w
>>> renderers.
>>>
>> I'm inclined to agree with Tapani. We're not lawyers and with the
>> patent expiring in half a year, I think we can defer this toggle to
>> builders and their legal teams ;-)
>>

> Not really sure what msg from Tapani you are referring to.  But tbh,
> what we really want is a separate option for sw renderers.

This quote from the cover letter
"I'm not sure about patch to enable texture-float, should this be left
as a 'policy decision' for end distribution, it's not enabled by
default on desktop?"

> I'm not sure if there is any use to build swrast/llvmpipe for android
> build, so maybe the thing to do is remove them (if they are built for
> android currently), and then enable texture-float.

There was a similar idea on the autotools side, but it never really
got finished/ack/merged.

I realise it's a tad annoying, but I'd just give it until the patent
expires and enable it everywhere - we could even fold the s3tc code
within mesa.

-Emil