+      }

Should we bail out with an error here when it's the other way around?
Although I cannot think of any of case that to get buffer Interlaced now, It's still a good idea to bail out here when it happnens
Will add it in v4.

It's not a error when case like buffer is deinterlaced, and interlaced result from query. What we need to do is to do nothing, just ignores.
I have sent out v4, please ignore it, it won't work.

Well that's not correct either.

When the buffer is allocated as progressive and the codec doesn't supports that we should certainly do something.

Either bail out as an error when we encode because we can't convert progressive->interlaced (just the other way around) and/or reallocate for decoding.
Here is current situation for  transcode

Decoder allocate I buffers as preferred, then encoder prefers as P buffers , so re-allocated them to P buffers.
and then next frame, decoder take P buffer, but not as preferred.

3 possible ways for decoder to go:

1. ignores the the Preferred, and keep buffer as P, and pipe goes. V3
2. go for Preferred, and then do endless alloc/dealloc frame by frame. V2
3. Bailout as error, the pipeline stops. V4

Won't have time to test till tomorrow but just getting one of the cases
I thought may work with this, that couldn't work with the env, out.

ffmpeg can (in theory anyway) do -

hwdec -> hw deinterlace -> hw encode.

Possible?

Not sure about FFMpeg. Have you tried that before? I always use gstreamer for encode/transcode.

Regards,
Leo