Thanks, I missed that; sorry for the mailing list chatter caused by missing the
original e-mail on the material.
 -Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Engestrom [mailto:eric.engest...@imgtec.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:39 PM
To: Rogovin, Kevin <kevin.rogo...@intel.com>
Cc: mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: [Mesa-dev] Difference between Meson and autotools release builds

On Wednesday, 2017-11-15 09:43:59 +0000, Rogovin, Kevin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know if anyone has noticed or if it is deliberate, but the meson
> builds have that assert()'s are active but the autotools release builds have
> that assert() is inactive.

Hi,

Yep, this is by design, meson decouples the build type (eg. "release") from
whether asserts are enabled; you can read more about it in this
thread:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2017-November/175739.html

You can already read the not-yet-landed documentation in this patch:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2017-November/175854.html

(or if it lands before you read this, the up-to-date meson-for-mesa
documentation will live at: https://mesa3d.org/meson.html)

Cheers,
  Eric