Quoting Emil Velikov (2018-01-18 10:40:40)
> On 18 January 2018 at 17:13, Dylan Baker <dy...@pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure how Emil feels about this (and the related patches) but I
> > think it
> > might be better to handle this at the build system level, for meson it would
> > look something like (in the top level meson.build):
> >
> > if cc.get_define('ETIME') == ''
> >   pre_args += '-DETIME=ETIMEDOUT'
> > endif
> >
> > Which should be a permanent fix. Emil can probably provide an autotools
> > equivalent.
> >
> I'm not sure how the above works on meson - the define can come from
> multiple places.
> Surely meson does not check every header available on the system?

It doesn't, it checks for defines the preprocessor knows about, if you need to
check specific headers there's `has_header_symbol`.

Maybe this isn't feasible, but it really feels like having to define ETIME all
over the tree if it's not defined is fragile and ugly. I'm with you and Eric
that FreeBSD really should solve this themselves.