On 2018-01-24 — 09:19, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On 01/24/2018 12:03 AM, Karol Herbst wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:46 PM, Francisco Jerez <curroje...@riseup.net>
> > wrote:

> > > That's right, but it just means that devices that have LLVM as canonical
> > > IR don't get support for cl_khr_il_program for the time being, until
> > > Khronos' SPIRV-to-LLVM converter gets upstreamed.
> > >

> > we could use tomeus out of tree llvm-spirv module though, but this
> > would also need some maintenance. It would be a better solution than
> > using that llvm-spirv fork from khronos
>
> Though I still cannot commit at the moment to maintain it, there's so many
> people whose plans could benefit from it, that maybe it won't be such a
> problem to maintain such a "packagable" fork until it gets merged in LLVM
> proper.
>
> Besides Mesa, there's interest from compiler writers such as D and Volt.

I am currently working on the v3 of this series, and I am split between:
1) dropping all the plumbing between clCreateProgramWithIL and the rest of
   clover, i.e. you can create a program using that function, but it will refuse
   to compile and link; compiling and linking support, along with using a
   canonical IR in clover would come in a second pull request once llvm-spirv
   is in a packageable form.
2) update clover to use a canonical IR in this series, even if that means the
   series won’t be mergeable until llvm-spirv is in a packageable form, and we
   have some way to convert SPIR-V or LLVM IR to TGSI.

Point 2) would be the best option, as it also gives the opportunity to actually
test the code; currently one needs non-upstream code, either for an updated
spirv_to_nir which handles OpenCL SPIR-V, or a direct SPIR-V consumer, to be
able to test this series.

Francisco: Do you know of anyone using the TGSI backend of clover? I was
wondering if it could be dropped or not.

Regards,
Pierre