Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 17:49, Eric Anholt <e...@anholt.net> wrote:
>>
>> Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hi Eric,

>> > Have you considered teaching the DRI loader about this? Unlike the
>> > tegra driver there's nothing special going on here.
>> > Create a dumb buffer on the DC, export as dmabuf and let the GPU draw into
>> > it.
>>
>> The problem with modifying mesa's loaders, as I mentioned in my other
>> reply, is that it means you need to update the xserver's loader and get
>> that deployed everywhere, as well.
>
> Agreed that retroactively fixing X isn't fun. At the same time, with
> the config file suggestion in mind, it's a one off change that will
> make code size and maintenance a lot easier.
> We've already handled that with mega drivers and it turned out just fine.

If I go this route, I get to replicate the code out for xserver,
GLX/DRI3, GLX/DRI2, EGL/DRI3, EGL/dri2, EGL/gbm, and whoops I don't even
know how to test with EGL/android.  It's massive code duplication.

With renderonly, you get to write C code in one place for this sharing.
I agree that having a symlink per KMS driver is ugly, and maybe we could
fix the loaders to fall back to trying kmsro, but I don't think the
loaders should be doing the prime sharing.