On Thu, 2019-02-14 at 08:53 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 06:04, Stéphane Marchesin
> <stephane.marche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:09 AM Elie Tournier <
> > tournier.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Stéphane,
> > >
> > > Currently, we lower everything in GLSL then we convert to TGSI.
> > > The issue is that the lowering pass generate something like 'call
> > > _umul builtin'. Then we try to convert it to TGSI. The problem
> > > appears here.
> > > A solution would be to inline the function in GLSL but I'm scared
> > > than the following shader will be huge.
> >
> > I suspect that's par for the course; the solution we pick will not
> > be
> > pretty either way.
> >
> > Another option is to send TGSI f64 down the wire and lower in the
> > host, in virglrenderer, by emitting glsl helper functions which
> > implement fp64 and calling those.
>
> Options are then:
>
> a) do an Apple on evergreen - export GL4.x don't expose the
> ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 string, a lie, but a consistent lie.
> b) do fp32 for all fp64 - conversion to/from fp64 is still messy, but
> might cover at least some basic tests
> c) lower in guest - ugly tgsi, slow
> d) lower in host - emulate in virglrenderer,
>
> I'm actually considering (d) might not be the worst solution, we
> could in theory reuse the GLSL shaders code from mesa, and just link
> it in as another GLSL string.

I would propose a fifth "option":

- Do a) and/or b) for now (i.e expose a not-technically-conformant 4.0)
- Move to productize Zink, which:
  1) Targets Vulkan, where FP64 is an optional feature that doesn't
     require an extension (VkPhysicalDeviceFeatures::shaderFloat64).
  2) Uses NIR, where lowering of FP64 is already supported for those
     devices that doesn't support FP64.

Of course I'm biased here since Zink is my baby, but I really believe
this is a better way forward. Adding more string-based lowering in
virglrenderer doesn't sound very palatable to me.