Hi,

On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 17:39 -0800, John Bates wrote:
> I recently opened issue 4262
> <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/4262> to begin the
> discussion on integrating perfetto into mesa.
>
> *Background*
>
> System-wide tracing is an invaluable tool for developers to find and
> fix
> performance problems. The perfetto project enables a combined view of
> trace
> data from kernel ftrace, GPU driver and various manually-instrumented
> tracepoints throughout the application and system.

Unlike some other Linux tracing solutions, Perfetto appears to be for
Android / Chrome(OS?), and not available from in common Linux distro
repos.

So, why Perfetto instead of one of the other solutions, e.g. from ones
mentioned here:
        https://tracingsummit.org/ts/2018/
?

And, if tracing API is added to Mesa, shouldn't it support also
tracepoints for other tracing solutions?

I mean, code added to drivers themselves preferably should not have
anything perfetto/percetto specific.  Tracing system specific code
should be only in one place (even if it's just macros in common header).

> This helps developers
> quickly answer questions like:
>
>    - How long are frames taking?

That doesn't require any changes to Mesa.  Just set uprobe for suitable
buffer swap function [1], and parse kernel ftrace events.  This way
starting tracing doesn't require even restarting the tracked processes.

[1] glXSwapBuffers, eglSwapBuffers, eglSwapBuffersWithDamageEXT,
anv_QueuePresentKHR[2]..

[2] Many apps resolve "vkQueuePresentKHR" Vulkan API loader wrapper
function and call the backend function like "anv_QueuePresentKHR"
directly, so it's  better to track latter instead.

>    - What caused a particular frame drop?
>    - Is it CPU bound or GPU bound?

That doesn't require adding tracepoints to Mesa, just checking CPU & GPU
utilization (which is lower level thing).

>    - Did a CPU core frequency drop cause something to go slower than
> usual?

Note that nowadays actual CPU frequencies are often controlled by HW /
firmware, so you don't necessarily get any ftrace event from freq
change, you would need to poll MSR registers instead (which is
privileged operation, and polling can easily miss changes).

>    - Is something else running that is stealing CPU or GPU time? Could
>    fix that with better thread/context priorities?
>    - Are all CPU cores being used effectively? Do I need
> sched_setaffinity
>    to keep my thread on a big or little core?

I don't think these to require adding tracepoints to Mesa either...

>    - What’s the latency between CPU frame submit and GPU start?

I think this would require tracepoints in kernel GPU code more than in
Mesa?

        - Eero