On 19/06/15 23:09, Emil Velikov wrote:
On 19 June 2015 at 21:26, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:
On 19/06/15 20:56, Emil Velikov wrote:

Hi all,

A lovely series inspired (more like 'was awaken to send these out') by
Pal Rohár, who was having issues when building xlib-libgl (plus the now
enabled gles*)

So here, we teach the final two static glapi users about shared-glapi,
plus some related fixes. After this is done we can finally start
transitioning to shared-only glapi, with some more details as mentioned
in one of the patches:

      XXX: With this one done, we can finally transition with enforcing
      shared-glapi, and

       - link the dri modules against libglapi.so, add --no-undefined to
      the LDFLAGS
       - drop the dlopen(libglapi.so/libGL.so, RTLD_GLOBAL) workarounds
      in the loaders - libGL, libEGL and libgbm.
       - start killing off/cleaning up the dispatch ?

      The caveats:
      1) up to what stage do we care about static libraries
       - libgl (either dri or xlib based)
       - osmesa
       - libEGL

      2) how about other platforms (scons) ?
       - currently the scons uses static glapi,
       - would we need the dlopen(...) on windows ?

Hope everyone is excited about this one as I am :-)

Maybe I missed the context of this changes, but why this matters or is an
improvement?

If one goes the extra mile (which this series doesn't) - one configure
option less, substantial some code de-duplication and consistent use
of the code amongst all components provided. This way any
improvements/cleanups made to the shared glapi will be available to
osmesa/xlib-libgl.

I'm perfectly happy with removing the configure option.

And I understand the benefits of unified code paths, but I believe that for this particular case, the difference in requirements really demands the separate code paths.

In summary, having the ability of using a shared glapi sounds great, but
forcing shared glapi everywhere, sounds a bad idea.

I'm suspecting that people might be keen on the following idea - use
static glapi for osmesa/xlib-libgl and shared one everywhere else?

Yes, that sounds reasonable for me.  (Needs libgl-gdi too.)

I fear that this will lead to further separation/bit-rot between the
different implementations, but it seems like the bester compromise.

I don't feel strongly between: a) using the same source code for both static/shared glapi (switched by a pre-processor define), or b) only share the interface but have shared/static glapi implementations. I'm actually not that familiar with that code.

Either way, we can have two glapi build targets (a shared-glapi and a static-glapipe) side-by-side, so that there are no more source-wide configure flags.

I believe a lot of the complexity of that code comes from assembly. I wonder if it's really justified nowadays (and even if it is, whether it would be better served with GNU C assembly.) Futhermore, I believe on Windows we use any assembly, so if we split shared/static glapi source code, we could probably abandon assembly from the static-glapi.

Jose