On 02/07/15 17:49, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:
On 02/07/15 17:24, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:

Ah OK. So I guess tilers will have to disable their render queues for
this one. Which seems like a reasonable trade-off...

I don't see why.

This is a purely SW query. So I don't see why the HW needs to see any
difference.

It just won't have compiled the shaders, I think. I guess this could force it.

AFAIK, tiles defer the _rendering_, not the compilation. At least llvmpipe compiles everything at draw time.

That said, glretrace already does glReadPixels when dumping state, so one
way or the other, when inspecting state in qapitrace, everything will be
flushed and and synched.

But that's too late -- you said the glGetActiveBla would go right
after the draw call. Presumably if you did it right after glReadPixels
it'd end up seeing the state left over from a blit or something?

Fair enough. It's the first thing after glDraw. Forget about glReadpixels.

I guess just still don't understand what's special about tilers. But I don't think it's pertinent now.

Perhaps the API should instead be

glEnable(GL_PROGRAM_SAVE_DUMP)
glProgramDumpDebugInfo(progid, callback)

which would then optionally dump any info associated with that
program. That way it doesn't even have to be internally active (due to
a subsequent blit or who-knows-what). But it would rely on that
program having been previously-drawn-with which would have generated
the relevant data.

Doing this immediately after draw call is no problem at all. I don't think it's worth complicating things by allowing a lag between draw and shader extraction. It just makes things more unreliable which defeats the point.

Jose