Stephen J Baker wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Brian Paul wrote:
>
> > > Since there are rumours of a couple of the IHV's getting geared up
> > > to putting geometry hardware onto low end cards (in the next year or
> > > so), it may be time to anticipate what that would do to the
> > > Mesa core.  It's kindof a similar problem to the 3DNow!/PIII issue.
> >
> > It's definately something to keep in mind.  But until the hardware
> > is available we've got plenty of other things to accomplish so I'm
> > not going to worry too much about it right now.
>
> Oh - sure. I just think that this is something we should all bear in
> mind when considering what to change in the geometry processing side
> of things.

The work I've done implementing CVA has required parcelling up bits of
what was 'gl_transform_vb' into seperate chunks, each with a function
pointer and a few words to describe inputs, outputs, etc.  This
packaging should allow hardware geometry code to be slotted in quite
easily when it becomes available, and even to manage the fallback to
software when and if required.

Keith