On 20-Sep-99 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> Ah, I didn't know about src/.libs  (and I suspect a lot of other
>>> Mesa users won't either).
>>  Long-time Mesa users will realize that there's a configure script
>>  and therefore they'll assume that the usual
>>  "configure; make; make install" works.
> But I don't want to install the library - I use it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> since my primary libGL is from GLX project...

 cd src; make install prefix=/home/me/mesa

 will install it in /home/me/mesa/lib.
 The demos don't require an installed libGL.

> Why is this directory hidden anyway?

 I don't know the reasoning of the original libtool author.
 Maybe he wanted to keep the directory "clean".
 .libs contains libtool-specific data that must not be modified.

> IMHO it's no good idea hiding things somewhere - I donīt want to
> get impressed by autoconf magic features but want to see what's going on...

 Follow the make output or set alias ls="ls -a" ;-)

email: tanner@(ffii.org|gnu.org|gmx.de)
web:   http://home.pages.de/~tanner
GGI/Picasso: http://picasso.ffii.org